Divorce Lawyers in Royal Oak
Divorce can take a heavy emotional toll from many people. And that stress can be even worse when you are dealing with legal implications too. If you are going through the divorce process in Oakland County, then you want a law firm that has years of experience in representing clients in all family law matters.
With different areas of family law having different impacts on your divorce, what are the main facts about divorce in Michigan that you need to know?
- You do not need to show any fault to file divorce as Michigan is a no-fault state. You only need to believe the marriage is over and cannot be saved.
- While there is no need to show fault for the divorce itself, faults may be considered by the judge when they make decisions on other aspects of the divorce.
- If you file in Michigan, you need to have lived there for 180 days prior to the filing. To file in Oakland County – or any other county – you must have lived there for 10 days.
- Michigan courts presume that it is in the child’s best interest to have input from and access to both parents.
- If there was domestic abuse or any other major ‘fault’, this may affect decisions on alimony, child custody, and parenting time.
- When ruling on child support orders, the court primarily uses the incomes of both parents as a deciding factor. They may also take other circumstances into account.
- Any child should be financially supported until 18, or 19½ if still in high school at that age.
- Either parent can request a review of a child support order if their circumstances change.
The Super Lawyers
Michigan Premier Law offer the best legal services in the area. For anyone going through a Michigan divorce, our family law attorney can give you the legal advice you need covering all divorce matters including spousal support and property division. We also cover other practice areas such as personal injury and criminal defense.
If you need a divorce attorney, why not book a free consultation at our law offices in Troy. To book an appointment, call now on 248-688-0045.