/Divorce Lawyers in Troy
Divorce Lawyers in Troy
If you are involved in a divorce in Troy, Michigan, you want a divorce attorney who has comprehensive knowledge of family law matters, someone with years of experience serving clients in the Detroit area. We aim to make a difficult process easier by handling all the legal services aspects of your divorce.
One thing we find is that there are certain questions many people ask about Michigan divorce laws, so we have gathered some information here for you:
- Michigan is a no-fault state for divorce so no fault needs to be proven. You only need to believe the marriage is over.
- While there is no need to prove any fault for the divorce, ‘faults’ – such as spousal abuse, addiction, etc. – may be taken into account by the judge when making decisions on other aspects of the divorce.
- If you file in Michigan, you need to have lived there for 180 days prior to the filing. To file in Oakland County – or any other county – you must have lived there for 10 days.
- Michigan courts presume that a child should normally have input from and access to both parents.
- If there was domestic abuse or any other ‘fault’, this may affect decisions made by the court regarding alimony, child custody, and parenting time.
- When deciding child support orders, courts primarily uses the incomes of both parents as a deciding factor. They also take other circumstances into account.
- Any child should be financially supported until 18, or 19½ if still in high school at that age.
- Either parent can request their child support order reviewed if their circumstances change.
Choose the Best Legal Representation
When it comes to dealing with any area of family law including divorce, you want to make sure that the family law attorney you hire has the experience and knowledge to represent you competently. Our law offices in Troy specializes in all practice areas of divorce from child custody to property division. Whatever legal issues arise in your case, our knowledge of divorce and family law makes us the super lawyers you need.
To get an idea of the details of your case, we offer a free consultation here at our office in Troy. We cover several areas of the law other than divorce, including criminal defense and personal injury. Why not call us today at 248-688-0045 to book that free appointment.